- Disadvantaged Groups
- Family Environment
- Physical Health
- Mental Health
- Social Services
- Rights, citizenship and law
- Early Childhood
- Child Development
- Evidence-informed Practice
- Methodology and Research Ethics
- Sex and Gender
- Social Inclusion
- Special Needs and Disability
- Young People
Starts 28 August | Ends 28 August
Children’s Research Network PhD Symposium 2019: “Doing research for and with children and young people”
Location: UNESCO Child and Family Research Centre – NUI Galway
Date: August 28th, 09:00 – 16:30
The Children’s Research Network (CRN) and National University of Ireland Galway (NUIG), in association with Trinity Research in Childhood Centre, Trinity College Dublin, are hosting a one-day PhD Symposium for doctoral students from all over the island of Ireland who are currently undertaking or have just completed research related to children and young people.
A major focus of this Symposium is to facilitate dissemination and discussion of PhD research related to children and young people. It offers an exciting opportunity to share research, meet and learn from other researchers and academics and exchange ideas in a friendly and supportive environment.
There will be keynote presentations from experts from the field of children and young people’s research.
Lunch and refreshments will be provided. Catering is by default vegetarian, please indicate upon registering if you have any special dietary needs (e.g. vegan / coeliac / meat)
- 09:30 - 10:00 Registration
- 10:00 – 10:05 Symposium Opening
- 10:05 – 10:15 Welcome Address, Dr Danielle Kennan, UNESCO Child and Family Research Centre, NUI Galway
- 10:15 – 10:45 Keynote by Professor Pat Dolan, UNESCO Child and Family Research Centre, NUI Galway
- 10:45 – 11:20 Poster Guided Tour , Chair: Dr Danielle Kennan
- 11:20 – 11:45 TEA & COFFEE
- 11:45 – 13:00 PhD Presentations Parallel Sessions
- 13:00 – 13:50 LUNCH
- 13:50 – 15:00 PhD Presentations Parallel Sessions
- 15:00 – 15:30 Masterclass: Publishing from your PhD by Professor Trevor Spratt
- 15:30 – 15:50 Self-care for researchers led by Dr Leonor Rodriguez
- 15:50 – 16:00 Closing Remarks by Dr Derina Johnson
Here's a sample of what previous years' attendants said was the most useful aspect of the day:
- "A real opportunity to share experiences in research - and to know that you are not alone in your research."
- "Opportunity to meet fellow PhD students, engage in rich stimulating dialogue, and gain an overview of current studies taking place."
- "Sharing of information - being able to discuss presentations in a relaxed way – it wasn’t too daunting - a very relaxed day"
- "Feedback from other participants was very useful"
Call for Abstracts
- Children’s Research Network members: FREE!
- Non-members: €20*
*Students can join the Children’s Research Network for just €15/~£14 per year!
2019 Special Presenter Travel Bursary
CRN receives support from the Department of Child and Family Affairs as part of What Works (formerly QCBI), funded by the Dormant Accounts fund